Are you tired of the same old veggie burgers and looking for a unique, flavorful, and nutritious alternative? Look no further! Our Black Bean and Beluga Lentil Burger recipe is here to delight your taste buds and add a new twist to your meatless meal repertoire. Packed with protein and fiber from black beans and beluga lentils, this burger is not only satisfying but also incredibly tasty. With a blend of spices, herbs, and veggies, it offers a scrumptious and wholesome option for vegetarians, vegans (with a simple flax egg substitution), and even meat-eaters looking to try something new. Plus, with a gluten-free option available, it’s a versatile choice for any dietary preference. So, let’s dive in and discover how to make these delightful and healthy Black Bean and Beluga Lentil Burgers!
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked beluga lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 large egg or flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water) for a vegan option
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for a gluten-free option
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a fork or potato masher until they are mostly broken down but still have some texture.
- Add the cooked beluga lentils to the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the rolled oats and breadcrumbs. The mixture should be thick and hold together.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, grated carrot, and chopped cilantro or parsley. Mix until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the egg or flax egg, soy sauce or tamari, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Add this mixture to the bean and lentil mixture, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into burger patties. Depending on the size, you should be able to make 4-6 patties.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, cook the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and heated through. Be gentle when flipping the patties, as they may be delicate.
- Place the cooked black bean and beluga lentil burgers on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the burgers on your choice of buns with your favorite toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, or a tasty sauce. Enjoy!
Note: You can customize this recipe by adding additional veggies or spices to suit your taste preferences.